Lemon Squeezey: Gin, Lillet & Grapefruit Tonic

Saturday, March 22, 2014

Gin, Lillet & Grapefruit Tonic

When I started university, I followed in the footsteps of many, many others and became a beer drinker. I discovered that beer is kinda perfect. Its casual, low maintenance, relatively inexpensive, and usually pretty tasty. It's also excellent for socializing because you can share a pitcher with the table, and its not terribly alcoholic, meaning you can maintain a reasonably intelligent conversation even after you've had a few (if that's what you want...).
Just as I was about to start culinary school, I developed an allergy to brewer's yeast and my beer drinking ways were put to an end. I was suddenly confused and legitimately overwhelmed when I was ordering a drink. Enter the hero of the story... the G & T.  I'd say 9 out of 10 times, if I'm in an unfamiliar bar and unsure of what to order, I'm going to get a gin and tonic. What's not to love? Gin - awesome. Tonic - yeeah, okay! Lime - oh, heck yes. 
This is my adapted version of a G & T for when I'm feeling fancy. While I normally leave the mixology to Tom, this cocktail is all my own. Bright, sparkly, a little bitter, and full of gin - everything I love in a drink. And, of course grapefruit, the most distinguished of citruses! 
 

This weird yeast allergy forced me to try new things I'd never heard of or been interested to know about when I had trusty beer by my side. It wasn't too long before I found something I really loved, Lillet Blanc.  Lillet is an aperitif wine from France, classically used in a Vesper, and made famous by James Bond! It is a blend of white Bordeaux wines, a little quinine, and bitter and sweet citrus liqueurs. It has a beautifully aromatic, slightly bitter flavour that pairs perfectly with gin.  And grapefruit. And tonic. 
The first weekend of spring calls for a cocktail. Sip on this and forget about the spring cleaning until next weekend!



Gin, Lillet & Grapefruit Tonic


Kitchen Soundtrack: Sail - AWOLNATION over and over, because of this.


Makes 1 drink
Ingredients:
  • 1 oz Bombay Sapphire Gin
  • 2 oz Lillet Blanc
  • 2 oz fresh squeezed grapefruit juice
  • ice
  • 2-4 oz tonic water
  • 1 strip of grapefruit zest, cut with a peeler or paring knife
*Note: If you prefer cocktails on the sweeter side, feel free to add ½ an ounce of simple syrup to temper the some of the bitterness. Just stir the simple syrup together with the gin, Lillet and juice. To make simple syrup, combine equal parts water and granulated sugar in a small pot and heat until the sugar is completely dissolved, stirring frequently.  This will keep refrigerated for up to 6 months.

Method:
  1. Combine the gin, Lillet, and grapefruit juice in a glass with ice, stir.
  2. Top with tonic and garnish with a strip of grapefruit zest. Twisting or crushing the the zest will help it to release its oils and impart more grapefruit flavour to your drink.
  3. Sit down, unwind and enjoy. Hang loose, as my Grammie would say!

No comments:

Post a Comment