Lemon Squeezey: Classic Chili

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Classic Chili

Okay. Its been awhile (oops, eight months goes by in a flash... :/), so I thought I'd ease myself in with one of my most favorite recipes - something you've probably eaten if you've had dinner at my house more than once, or if you've been camping with me, or if we've watched the Superbowl together, or attended the same potluck ... you get the idea.

It all started on Superbowl Eve of 2010... No offence to football, but the Superbowl has always been all about the food for me. Buffalo wings, French onion dip, nachos, brownies and chili. Well, on the eve of Superbowl XLIV, without my dad (who makes chili so spicy you wish your face was numb), I was facing my first game day without game day food, and I was very determined not to allow that to happen. Sooo, I found a very promising chili recipe online, made it, loved it and then promptly lost it. That recipe was never to be found again. I spent the next 2 years trying to piece together what I could remember of the ingredients. I fiddled and tweaked and tinkered with it until finally I had some results that I thought were even better than the original. I've been making this recipe ever since. Probably too often if I'm being honest.
This chili is a straightforward, heat and serve operation (it totally qualifies as a weeknight dinner if you have an hour to let it do its thing on the stove), but it does not skimp in the flavor department. In addition to your typical chili ingredients like chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, oregano, garlic, onion, etc., I add a couple slices of bacon. It lends a savory, smoky depth that otherwise couldn't be achieved with such a short cooking time.

While this chili is completely delicious if you eat it right away, I often make a double recipe because, as is often the case with meals like this,  the leftovers are even better! (Um, hi. Chili Dogs?!) It keeps for several days in the fridge, and up to 6 months in the freezer. Happy cooking! Also, GO PATS!


Classic Chili


Serves 4
Ingredients:
  • 2 slices of bacon, sliced into small strips
  • 1 medium onion, diced ¼ inch square
  • 1 bell pepper (whatever color you like), diced ¼ inch square
  • 1 tbsp neutral cooking oil, such as canola
  • 680g or 1.5 lbs lean ground beef 
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 tbsp tomato paste
  • 2 tbsp chilli powder
  • 1½ tsp ground cumin
  • ½ - 1 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 796ml or 28 oz can diced tomatoes
  • 1 540ml or 19 oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 tbsp yellow mustard, or 1 tsp mustard powder and a splash of apple cider vinegar
  • freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • kosher salt, to taste
     Toppings:
  • cilantro
  • thinly sliced green onion
  • finely chopped jalapeƱos
  • sour cream
  • grated cheddar cheese
  • tortilla chips

Method:
  1. Cook the bacon in a large pot or dutch oven over low heat until the fat renders and it begins to get a little bit crispy. Add the onion and sweat until it is almost translucent,  then add the bell pepper, and cook until it starts to soften but is still vibrant in color.
  2. Meanwhile, heat a skillet over medium heat. When its hot enough to make a sprinkle of water sizzle and disappear, add the oil, then the ground beef, oregano, black pepper, and a pinch of salt. Cook until the meat is browned, breaking it up as it cooks. Reserve.
  3. Add the garlic, tomato paste, chilli powder, cumin and cayenne (and mustard powder, if using) to the onions and peppers and toast the spices until they are very fragrant, about 1-2 minutes over medium heat.
  4. Drain the beef (I just scoop it out with a slotted spoon) and add it to the onion mixture. Add the tomatoes, kidney beans, and the yellow mustard. 
  5. Give the chilli a good stir so that the ingredients are evenly mixed. If it seems too thick, add a cup or so of water, keeping in mind that the chili will thin out a little bit as it cooks. Taste and adjust seasoning. Bring it to a boil, turn the heat to low, cover, then allow it to simmer for at least 1 hour.
  6. Allow the chili to sit for 10 minutes off the heat before serving. Taste for salt, and adjust as you see fit. Mound some it a bowl, smother it with sour cream and cheese and whatever else you like and dig in!

5 comments: